A recent poll taken shows results that Frank Underwood of House of Cards played by Kevin Spacey, is more popular than Obama. The study showed that Americans prefer television presidents as opposed to their real life leaders. The poll resulted in 47% percent of Americans being favorable with Obama as their president. Obama addressed Frank Underwood and stated, "That guy is getting a lot done. I wish things were that ruthlessly efficient." Frank Underwood has let a passed out congressman die by leaving him in a garage inside a running car, and pushed a journalist into the path of a subway train. So why do American favor him over Obama, who is known by many as being calm, cool, and collected?
I do not watch House of Cards, however I am aware of the popularity of the show, which is a Netflix original series. I believe that when a political show is created, there is an instant buzz. We craze to see the behind the scenes, dig deep into the mysteries and the everyday drama. However, that is just it, it is all drama. Sure, we have a president, but for a TV show to remain on air it has to keep and gain a consistent audience, of which happens through interesting scripts and characters. Although some of the reason those do not favor Obama is simply because they do not like him, I feel that Americans favor Frank Underwood because he is like the adrenaline president. I feel like it may have something to do with the fact that we crave security. Obama is known as being a calm individual, so Americans may feel like they should have a president who will stop at nothing. Now, I feel like it is not very logical to compare a fictional president to an actual one. Of course the fiction will appeal to you more, that is the point. It would be highly more fitting to compare Obama with for example, Abraham Lincoln.
In conclusion, I feel although Americans may feel that fictional presidents possess more likable qualities, they are not going to control the country. The political dramas are made to provide conversation and stir emotion. They are used to show us everything that goes into being a world leader and everything they have to go through to protect the country they vowed to fight for.
That's so strange! You backed up the idea of Frank Underwood being more popular than Obama really nicely. This really made me think.
ReplyDelete