Monday, March 2, 2015
Food Inc.
In Environmental, we recently watched a documentary on food and the process of it going from the company to our plate. Most of the documentary focuses on meat. The crew goes around and digs deep into what we are really putting into our stomach. Some of the documentary was actually hard to watch, not necessarily because it was gross, but because of how blind sided we have become to what we eat. America has become such a fast-paced country that we do not take the time to make connections that are right in front of us. For example, a farmer in the video says how he has people come up to him all the time and complain about how high his prices are, meanwhile they are drinking a liter of pop. A family mostly consumes McDonald's food and they are shown going to the grocery store to buy healthy food and exclaim that the prices for vegetables are too high. So, instead, they go and buy some Big Macs... why? A head of lettuce can give you multiple salads, whereas a Big Mac is gone in a few minutes and is harming your health. As I was watching this, it made me think about the companies. I think we can become naive and think that if we are eating it, they are having our health at the topen of their priorities. However, the sad part is, is that even if something happens, they still get their money. I'm not trying to be a downer, I just found this to be alarming. And I believe that is a reason these documentaries are made, to say, "Hey! Wake up!", to make us think and question.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I totally agree Jenna! That documentary was so informative. I really liked how it had a lot of sources and thoroughly explained every point. Honestly, I really wish people were just more in touch with what they're eating. Like, do people realize how many cows they're eating with just one McDonald's hamburger? Seriously, that's like tiny bits of one hundred cows smashed onto one bun. Charming.
ReplyDelete