Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Touring a College

I recently toured Edinboro University, which is near Erie, Pennsylvania. The open house lasted from 1-3 and was a time where you could get a tour and learn more about what your daily routine would consist of depending on your field of study. I want to major in journalism, so I got a tour of the building where I would have most of my classes directly relating to journalism. I ended up walking around with a freshman of the university and she gave me a tour of everything I wanted to see.
I was really nervous to enter Edinboro. I can be really shy around new people and new things, and I didn't want that to negatively affect what I wanted to get out my visit. So, I came up with some tips that I think should be thought about while entering a campus for a tour.

1.) You do NOT have to dress like you are going to the White House Correspondence Dinner
For a while, I had no idea what to wear. I did not know whether I should dress professionally, or as though I was going to a friend's birthday party(I actually was later that night). So, I decided to compensate. I wore shorts because it was supposed to reach the 70s, and I wore a dress shirt with a necklace. I dressed up, while also being comfortable and casual. I believe that comfort is best. You want to look presentable, but you also don't want to be miserable.

2.) Ask questions
I believe that high school has really helped me come out of my shell. I was able to walk around with a freshman of Edinboro and she really gave me a feel of what a day is like on campus. You can not be afraid to ask questions. An open house or a tour is only to benefit you. They already know what it's like! The best way to understand the college you may be applying to is to get to know the people and the area better. So, ask away!

3.) Have fun!
A college open house and your is not supposed to be a dreadful process. It is supposed to open you up to an area where you may be spending the next four years(or more) of your life after you graduate high school. It is important to take advantage of the opportunities and explore.

1 comment:

  1. Jenna, it's wonderful that you loved Edinboro! I really hope you enjoy journalism, I think you'd be such a good writer! Thanks for the tips! I cannot wait to tour colleges in New York, and even though I'm super exited, NYC is so big, it's nerve-racking. I also had no clue what to wear:)

    ReplyDelete